Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Different Kind of Basket

I made this gift as a thank you for our paper delivery girl. It is the "diaper fold" using a 12x12 piece of designer paper. This could make a cute alternative to an Easter basket. You can find the directions for the folding HERE. I decorated the outside with a couple of flowers from Petal Pizzaz (pg. ) and a flower brad (pg. ). I also added some punched flowers from other sheets of matching paper, for a little confetti. Kids like those shapes to glue onto other things! I'm not sure if the paper girl is creative or not, but I know she is in Girl Scouts, so I thought she might enjoy the basket as much as the candy and gifts inside.
I've been experimenting in the kitchen.... my kids love pizza hot pockets, so I decided to try making my own, in the shape of calzones. Here is a picture of my first effort. They tasted great, but leaked a little (see that black, baked on tomato sauce in the corner of the pan?) so I still have some tweaking to do. I used hamburger and sausage, and cooked it in tomato sauce with spices. So once I ball of dough stretched out into a little circle, I put on a scoop of the meat sauce, added a couple slices of pepperoni, some chopped red pepper and mozzerella cheese. I folded the top over and sealed it with a little water, then crimped the edges like pie crust. The first ones really leaked, so I started cutting a slit in the top to try to help that. They actually weren't leaking from the seam, but the bottom dough just got a split in it during baking. We all loved them--pizza is one of our fav foods AND these are so much healthier than what you buy in the store! I just wrapped them in saran wrap and put in the freezer. The kids would thaw them on the defrost setting of the microwave, then heat them a little more on a "bread" setting. We're almost out of them already, so I need to make some more!
More coming tomorrow--new April specials from Stampin' Up! Talk to you then--

No comments: